‘Tis the season for Christmas cheer, time with family, and holiday travel. If you’re planning a trip out of town to visit relatives, don’t forget to stay vigilant against bed bugs. These pesky insects are active year-round, and infestations are more prevalent at times of increased travel.
Bed bugs can be found in many common areas while traveling. Commuters encounter many areas bed bugs enjoy, such as plane seats, cushioned seating in airport terminals, hotel lobby seating, and of course beds. Contrary to popular belief, the cleanliness of an area is not an indicator of bed bugs. They exist just as often in spotlessly clean areas as dirty ones. So, it’s important to do a quick check no matter how sanitary the area appears.
How to detect bed bugs in hotel rooms:
- Immediately place luggage on a luggage rack (away from the wall) or in the bathroom while you inspect the room.
- Check the seams of mattresses and other furniture for rust-colored spots, bed bugs, or exoskeleton casings. The adults, nymphs, and eggs are all visible without magnification.
- You can do this with any upholstered furniture you encounter while traveling to help avoid areas of infestation.
- If you see any signs of an infestation, ask the hotel for another room.
- As an extra precaution even without any of the telltale signs of infestation, care should be taken to prevent contact. Bed bugs are notorious for being crafty hitchhikers. It’s recommended to keep your suitcase on the luggage rack, pulled away from the wall, for the duration of your stay.
Extra steps when you get home:
Unpack your luggage in a garage or an area outside the home if possible and put clothing directly in the dryer for at least 15-30 minutes on high heat.
What to do if you have an infestation:
Even with all the above precautions, you may still end up with a bed bug infestation. They are notorious for being easy to pick up but impossible to get rid of. Treatment of an infestation requires a professional pest control professional.
At the first sign of an infestation, call Romans Pest Management for a FREE inspection. Early detection is key. We will contact our partner, K9 Bed Bug Inspector to come to your home or business for a discrete and accurate inspection prior to treatment. This partnership allows us to quickly assess your property for bed bugs and to create a more precise treatment plan for the infestation. Using well-trained canines at the first sign of bed bugs results in a much more effective bed bug treatment than our competitors in the area. Bed Bug Inspector’s canines are trained to locate the specific scent of only live bed bugs and viable eggs. We will then treat your home or business until the infestation is under control.
At Romans Pest Management, we know that a bed bug infestation can be a frightening experience, especially if you have children or you own a small business. We want you to know that we can work with you on payments if treatment is needed right away but the funds aren’t immediately available. Please don’t hesitate, give us a call today for your inspection.
Conveniently located in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, Romans Pest Management serves the whole Tri-State area, including Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, and Southeast Indiana.